Day 5 of Giving

Someone made a suggestion yesterday that we pay for people behind us at a drive thru. She used to work at Starbucks and she was amazed as she would watch 20 cars pay it forward.

Bryan and I actually do pay for cars behind us 98% of the time when we're going through drive thru. We never know what happens afterwards. That's the beauty of giving. You give and let go of all expectations.

One time Bryan paid for some guy behind him at Tim Horton's. And the guy actually followed him all the way home (ok, all the way meaning like a minute). The guy got out of the car and asked Bryan, "you bought my coffee? Why would you do that?" And Bryan responded, "because that's just what we do. Something to brighten someone's day." The guy was in tears and said, "you have no idea how much this meant to us. We just came back from vacation. We took one because my wife was diagnosed with cancer, my dad was diagnosed with a terminal illness, and I'm about to take some time off. When you bought our coffee, my kid was shocked and told us we had to follow you to thank you. So thank you."

The bill was $4. You just never know how much $4 can go.
Since we do this so often, it's not a surprise that it would be something I do during the first week of my 365 days of giving project.



Tonight, we went to Tim Horton's before visiting one of my old high school friend's newborn baby. We paid for the truck that was behind us. I hope it brightened up their night. But even if it didn't, that's ok.

My journey to give continues. What will tomorrow bring?

Comments

Popular Posts