Day 21 of Giving

About a year ago, my mom came home from seeing one of her friends and told us that she had the biggest surprise ever. Somehow, between my aunt and her friend, they managed to connect my mom with a long lost high school friend of her. It was a surprise reunion and they hadn't seen each other in 40 years! My mom had thought this friend had passed away, because no one knew where he was. To her surprise, he was alive an well and they've been in touch ever since. It's a cute story.

Anyway, today, this friend and his wife came to our side of town because they wanted to scope out the neighborhood for a possible move. My mom had told me that his wife doesn't have a lot of friends and have a hard time talking to anyone because English isn't her first language.

We decided to go out to lunch with them today. We had some good conversations about houses, the move, their daughter, and just every day stuff.

Afterwards, my mom's friend's wife came up and said, "thank you. I needed to have this time to feel human. Thank you for talking."

I think people crave companionship. People crave connection. I know when I was at home with Mackenzie, I was going out to see people every day. I needed to see people, to relate, to just feel like a person. Sometimes, reaching out will have more of an impact than you know. When was the last time you reached out?


Comments

Popular Posts